[Gmsh] import + meshing of step file

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Oct 15 07:38:47 CEST 2010

On 14/10/10 16:44, jb.leydet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm facing a problem with gmsh:
>
> I'm trying to import and mesh a step file. All surfaces seem to have meshed properly, but then I get an error while trying to mesh the volume.
>
> I attach the error text (featuring some weird "Info : Starting subloop 4 in Line Loop 4 (are you sure about this?)" messages... maybe that could be the source of the pb?).

Hi Jean-Baptiste - don't export the .step into a .geo file! Just mesh
the .step directly.

Let me repeat again for the list: saving "unrolled geo" files is mainly
provided for debugging purposes. The .geo language is not as rich as the
underlying abstract CAD descriptions: you loose information when you
perform the .geo export.

Your model meshes nicely over here, but for some element sizes the 2D
mesh self-intersects. You need to fine-tune mesh sizes a bit by hand in
this case. Recent nigtly builds have also improved automatic
curvature-based mesh size calculation, so you can e.g. use

gmsh air-channel.stp -clcurv -clscale 0.2