[Gmsh] Unexpected behaviour with Geometry.AutoCoherence=0 and duplicatedsurfaces.

Mark Starnes mark.starnes at fttech.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 12:46:37 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

For various reasons, the meshes I produce use Geometry.AutoCoherence=0
to prevent the collapsing of coincident objects.  I perform collapsing
at a later point when needed.

When copying a surface, however, extra nodes seem to appear on the
duplicated surface and when meshed, Gmsh shows a Seg. Fault.  I tried
this on windows and linux, and am using version 2.5.0-svn.

The following script shows the issue.  The behaviour can be turned on or
off by commenting the Geometry.AutoCoherence=0 command:

-----------------
Geometry.AutoCoherence = 0;

Point(1) = {0,0,0}; // centre
Point(2) = {1,0,0};
Point(3) = {0,1,0};
Point(4) = {-1,0,0};
Point(5) = {0,-1,0};

Circle(1) = {2, 1, 3};
Circle(2) = {3, 1, 4};
Circle(3) = {4, 1, 5};
Circle(4) = {5, 1, 2};

Line Loop(5) = {2, 3, 4, 1};
Plane Surface(6) = {5};

test[] = Translate{0,0,-0.1} {Duplicata{Surface{6};}};
-----------------

I noticed this, as I have coincident faces which need identical
meshes for coupling to occur on a node to node basis between different
domains.

If anybody has a suggestion for how to match meshes on coincident but
numerically separate faces, I'd love to hear it!  Currently, all I can
think of is the Duplicata approach above.

As a side, I have just been awarded my Doctorate of Aeronautics from
Imperial College, London:  I used Gmsh throughout the project (and
referenced it as requested!), and have posted a few times, receiving
much help from the community.  So, thanks for this great software and
thanks for the support over the years!

Best regards,

Mark.

FT Technologies Limited is registered in England and Wales under registered number 01603909. Its registered office is at Church Lane, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 8PA.
The information in this message is confidential and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you should not disclose, use or copy this information. Please contact the sender immediately if you have received this message in error.