[Gmsh] Boundary layers in gmsh?

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Wed Feb 24 13:03:28 CET 2010

On 24/02/10 11:26, julien hoessler wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> If it is a flat surface or if you know where the interface would be
> located you can just move your domain line/surface to the interface and
> extrude it towards the outside, but otherwise I can't seem to find a way
> to link the interface with the rest of the mesh

Hi Guys - boundary layers are still a bit experimental, but the basics
are there to connect them with other geometrical entities. Attached are
two examples:

* sphere_boundary_layer.geo shows how to connect volumes to boundary
layer faces ;

* t1_boundary_layer_connection.geo shows how you can also connect things
to the lines or vertices created during the boundary layer generation.

Retrieving the id numbers of the extruded entities can be done in a
script the usual way (list[] = Extrude...), but as usual this only gives
access to the ids of the "top" surface, the new volume and the "lateral"
surfaces.

To retrieve the ids of the new lines and the new points, you have at the
moment to resort to the GUI (in "Tools->Options->General->General"
select "Enable mouse hover over meshes" to see the numbers displayed at
the bottom of the graphical window).

Hope this helps,

Christophe