[Gmsh] GMSH and buildings-wind interaction

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Fri Feb 12 01:15:38 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Antonella Grassano <leli95 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to know if gmsh is suitable to model the wind flow around a
> building?

Note Gmsh doesn't model flow itself (though can interface to solvers),
but you could use it for pre- (geometry & meshing) and postprocessing
(visualization & data-extraction).
  One option would be to use the free Gerris flow solver, see e.g.
http://gfs.sourceforge.net/examples/examples/tangaroa.html#htoc10.  I
don't think this used Gmsh, but the geometry is imported into Gerris
as a GTS triangulated surface, which is easily translated from an StL
triangulated surface output, and that is one of Gmsh's output formats.

> Does it have a limit on the number of cell?

I don't think so.  Certainly not in the way some `free' demonstration
versions of other packages have a deliberate cell number ceiling.

> What file format can be imported?

Quite a few: IGES, .STEP, .brep, .vtk, .stl, .unv, .medit, ... I think
it depends a bit on what libraries you have around when you configure
and compile Gmsh.