[Gmsh] How transforming elementary entities to physical groups?

Pierre JUILLARD pierre.juillard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:24:56 CET 2010

Hi everybody!

I am interested in converting a Nastran mesh to MED file and gmsh seems
pretty the good tool for that!
However, when I read the nastran file, all my "parts" are stored as
elementary entities (see enclosed picture).
Thus nothing is exported to the MED format.

How can I change my elementary entities into physical groups?

I did it by hand modifying the file in a text editor using gmsh file format
(I had to change the content of a column element per element (elementary
entities index being in column 5 and physical group index in column 4, I
duplicated the elementary entities index column) using a macro...): it is
do-able, but only for a small number of groups...
For larger files, I would like to know if there is a "turn-key" option
allowing this.

I thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,

Pierre