[Gmsh] Postprocessing with QUAD4 Element

Axel Gerstenberger axel.gerstenberger at gmx.de
Tue Jan 24 08:34:52 CET 2006

Hi,

this is a question to the developers of Gmsh.

I'am using the QUAD4 element for postprocessing and I was wondering, if
  real bilinear interpolation is used for displaying the results.

The attached figure should show a complete symmetric result with respect
to the horizontal center of the mesh. This is true for the nodal values,
but not for the interpolated areas. In fact, the QUAD4 elements appear
to use 2 TRI3 elements to display the result. For the coarse academic
example as shown in the attachment, I'd prefer to see a "perfect"
symmetric result.

Could this behaviour be changed by user input or should it be changed in
the Gmsh source? Unfortunatly, I am only experienced in FEM using
Fortran and a little C#, but not C++, otherwise I would offer to help,
if coding is needed.

Thanks for your suggestions and thanks for Gmsh,

Axel Gerstenberger