[Gmsh] Meshing algorithms and suggestions

Guilherme Saturnino guilhermebs at drcmr.dk
Wed Sep 12 14:31:42 CEST 2018

Dear Gmsh developers,

I'm working on a package called SimNIBS (http://simnibs.org/) that does
FEM simulations in human head models. We use gmsh to create tetrahedral
meshes from stl surfaces of brain and other tissues. Is there any
particular meshing algorithm you would suggest for this application?
What about optimization algorithms? We prefer robustness and quality
over speed.

I would also like to suggest 2 improvements for future Gmsh versions:

1. Is it possible to provide Gmsh 4 binaries that are compatible with
CentOS 6? It is an old but still widely used Linux distribution. This
has been holding us back in adopting Gmsh 4.

2. Would it be possible in future releases to have more flexible data
types in $NodeData and $ElementNodeData? I think it would be very useful
to store single-precision floats (to save space) or integers (to have
additional labels for elements and nodes) .

Thanks a lot for putting so much time and effort into making this great
piece of software.

Best Regards,

Guilherme Saturnino