[Gmsh] Parameters for mesh refinement in 3D

Octavio Castillo Reyes ocastilloreyes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:46:36 CEST 2018

Dear all,

I'm writing to you because I need some tips/advices for mesh refinement. Given
a simple model like the one attached to this mail, If the spacing for
material 1 is d1 = 300 m, and for material 2 it is d2 = 220 m. How to
define the spacing for points p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, p6? How to refine near
points p7, p8, ...., p14? For these points, I want a refinement equal to
d1/20 and that extends up to 80 m from each point.

I have already done experiments but it is not clear to me how to handle the
attractor option, namely I don't know if following lines are correct:

d1 = 300;
d2 = 220;

Field[1] = Attractor;
Field[1].NodesList = {7:14};
Field[2] = Threshold;
Field[2].IField = 1;
Field[2].LcMin = d1/20;
Field[2].LcMax = ds;
Field[2].DistMin = d1/20;
Field[2].DistMax = 80;
Field[3] = Min;
Field[3].FieldsList = {2};
Background Field = 3;

Characteristic Length {1, 2, 3, 6} = d1;
Characteristic Length {4, 5} = d2;

Finally, I don't know if this options are valid for a 3D case.

Thank you for your time and support.

Best regards