[Gmsh] Problems with gmsh

Florian M. Wagner wagnerfl at student.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 26 10:44:31 CEST 2014

Am 26.06.2014 09:45, schrieb Ashley Samuel:
> Hello,
>    Thank you very much for your response.  I have another question, I found a tutorial which lists a program which will convert a .msh file to a .dat file, called gmsh_tet_to_r3t.exe.  I cannot seem to find this program anywhere, can you please tell me where I can find it?  Thank you very much.
Hey Ashley,

"I found a tutorial" is not very specific, so I assume you did not find
it on the gmsh website. And since a *.dat file can be any kind of file,
your question is not really related to gmsh in general bur rather
specific to the program you want to use afterwards. It looks like
someone has written a small executable which converts the gmsh output to
something you need for further processing with your specific program.

But you are lucky! I am a PhD student in Earth Science as well and I
assume you want to use R3t, the geoelectrical modeling and inversion
code by Andrew Binley!? If so, you can download the latest version from
his website then you will find a gmsh2r3t python script that I wrote a
few years ago. If you have a Python interpreter installed
(www.python.org), then you can simply double-click on it and you will
see a small GUI asking for the *.msh file. If you need any additional
help, feel free to contact me.

Good luck
Florian