[Gmsh] level the elements

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Sun Mar 23 01:48:12 CET 2014

Le 23 mars 2014 05:54, "Mauricio Vinassa" <mvinassa at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Dear community,
> I must say that about 2 months ago I was completely and absolutely
ignorant on this modeling art, but after this time I can ensure you I am
not only still ignorant yet also passionate by it. I've learn a lot through
this community and the infinite ocean of information available on the web,
however I also got lost at some point.

> As I told you, I am new in the modelling art, and I have some basic
doubts about how to link my mesh with my numerical scheme.

> I built my unstructured mesh with gmsh (more than 1 MM elements) and now,
in order to solve my eq system with finite volume, I need to level them and
develop my connection list.

> I found some old discussion about something similar (
http://geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2011/006866.html) but honestly I don't know
how to proceed.

> should I work with some other soft in order to know the location of my
nodes, or gmsh could do that for me? what other soft could do that? Is that
OpenFoam for? (http://www.openfoam.com/)

> If you have a few minutes to explain me how to continue I would be very
grateful. Also, any further information you can give me about how to use a
mesh with finite volume would be very welcome.

Hello. The mesh generated by Gmsh is really designed for the method of
finite elements rather than that of finite volumes.  It contains all the
information required for the former and can be read and used immediately by
several such packages (e.g. GetDP, FreeFem+, libMesh).
   As you've identified though, a bit more information on connectivity is
required for finite volume work.  (The relative simplicity of mesh data is
one of the advantages of the finite element method.) OpenFOAM is a very
capable finite volume library. It comes with a utility program called
gmshToFoam, as mentioned in the 2011 thread you cited.  Did you try it?  It
sounds like it might be just what you're asking for: it reads a mesh in the
Gmsh .msh format, works out all the extra finite volume connectivity
information, and writes it out in a set of files in the formats used by
OpenFOAM.  I presume that they could also be adapted for use by another
finite volume code.