[Gmsh] RE (second) wrong maximum-values in a contour plot coming from a .med-results-file

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Feb 7 20:17:43 CET 2014

On 07 Feb 2014, at 19:45, Johannes Ackva <johannes.ackva at code-aster.de> wrote:

> Hello Jean-Pierre and Christophe,
>
> Jean-Pierre, yes Your Plot shows as max the maximum nodal value. And I
> verified now that this can be shown be using the "Adapt visualisation
> grid".
>
> Christophe,
> thank You for Your background information. Let me please pose a next
> question: How can it be judged which is the true max value? And what
> does it mean if the max-values from different approximations are so
> different (194 vs 240): Mesh not fine enough? Or elm quality bad? Or both?

It's not a problem: it's just that the maximum of a second order polynomial interpolated with Lagrange functions is not necessarily at one of the interpolation nodes. Consider a second order line element [0,1] with a middle node at 0.5. Assign values 1, 2 and 2 at the 3 nodes. The maximum is not 2 - but 2.125 (between the middle and the right node).

0    0.5   1