[Gmsh] question on partitioning

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Fri Aug 20 16:41:21 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I have two model formed by quad elements, this model is an ansys model
originally that I would like to do some partitioning on the mesh
structure and export some related system matrices from the Ansys binary
files. However there is sth strange(or I do sth strange.), the original
mesh file written out of Ansys is 'model.msh' and the partitioned mesh
file is given 'modelParts.msh' in the attachments. In the partitioned
mesh file there are some line elements that are not in the original mesh
file. I could first not understand this fact, this is the question #1.

The second question is that the element numbering in the partitioned
mesh has also changed which I would like that to be changed, am missing
sth about the partitioning theory(on which I am not good at). Can
someone clarify this issue for me. You can also try to partition the
'model.msh' to see the output of the operation yourself.

I do some kind of a special operation to make the mesh in Ansys and Gmsh
the same(in ordering sense), because elements are reordered in Ansys and
the native order should be kept. So looking at the 'model.msh' file, the
elements are not written in the usual indexing as from 1 to nelm, but
with a mixed order, so is this the source of the change in the
partitioned output? I am confused at this point.

P.s. I used Chaco Multilevel-K with 3 partitions.

Best,
Umut