[Gmsh] gshhs plugin for GMSH

Clayton Hiles cehiles at me.uvic.ca
Mon Jul 5 06:00:18 CEST 2010

Hello GMSH community,

I am interested in using GMSH to generate unstructured meshes for
hydro kinetic modelling.
I have followed the tutorial of Jonathan Lambrechts here:
http://perso.uclouvain.be/jonathan.lambrechts/gmsh_ocean/

I have downloaded the gshhs dataset from here:
ftp://ftp.soest.hawaii.edu/pwessel/gshhs/

I am having difficulty importing the gshhs shoreline data into GMSH.
Following the tutorial exactly, the gshhs plug-in produces a .geo file
with the following content:
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP = newp;
IL = newl;
ILL = newll;
IS = news;
IFI = newf;
Point ( IP + 0 ) = {0, 0, 0 };
Point ( IP + 1 ) = {0, 0,6.37101e+06};
PolarSphere ( IS + 0 ) = {IP , IP+1};
Field [ IFI + 0]  = Attractor;
Field [ IFI + 0].NodesList  = { IP + 2 : IP + 1 };

There are no entries in the nodelist!

I have attempted the tutorial on a Ubuntu Linux machine, and on
Windows Xp running in a virtual machine with the same results.

Does anyone have any advice to steer me in the right direction here?
I am new to GMSH so this could be the result of a rookie mistake.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Clayton Hiles
University of Victoria