[Gmsh] Help

Henri Pascal-Jenny henri.pascal-jenny at sogeti.com
Thu Jun 17 11:26:36 CEST 2010

Hi

I am facing the  problem of finding the minimum-3D box enclosing AS CLOSE AS
POSSIBLE a set of 3D mesh points .

I would like to avoid the use of a too-sophisticated algorithm .

(cf.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_bounding_box_algorithms)

Actually, when used straightforwardly, the method "BoundingBox"  available
in a  gmesh-session returns a  3D box

which box does not always correspond to the minimum volume enclosing the set
of points

( imagine a thin and not fully-planar shape tilted in respect to the axes of
a standard coordinates-frame )

In fact, the matter comes from the bulk orientation of the envelop of the
set of points under consideration.

The usage is :

BoundingBox { expression, expression, expression, expression, expression,
expression };

what forces the bounding box of the scene to the given expressions (X min, X
max,

Y min, Y max, Z min, Z max).

Therefore, I am wandering if there is a way of  operating the "BoundingBox"
method in order to get in the end the  truly-minimum 3D box enclosing.

Actually, I guess that there is a preliminary thing to do related to the
coordinates system ; maybe I am wrong.

Well, I would appreciate it very much if anyone could supply me for any
piece of information regarding my problem.

Thanks a lot in advance for your attention and your cooperation.

Regards

Henri Pascal-Jenny