[Gmsh] Help on creating quadrilateral shell elements

Lucas Fernando Cóser lucas.coser at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 20:45:59 CET 2010

Hello,

I've started to use Gmsh some weeks ago in order to build a spherical mesh
which will be used in BEM (Boundary Element Method) as a field point mesh
for an acoustic simulation. The field points can be understood as microphone
positions around the object being studied and their coordinates are being
generated in Matlab which exports them in the X, Y and Z form. My main
problem is that one of the softwares I use for my simulations (Virtual.Lab
from LMS) can't understand just the nodes as field points, and a solution
for that would be to create a shell mesh with all nodes being connected to
their neighbors in order to form quadrilateral elements around the whole
sphere.

At the begining I thought this would be an easy task and, although I'm fully
able to create nodes and connecting lines in Gmsh, I can't find a solution
to my problem and I'd be really thankful if I could make the process of
"creating quarilateral elements by connecting adjacent nodes" at least
semi-automatic. By now I have 625 nodes, but I'll probably have to increase
their number so I'd have a finer mesh needed for my future studies, making
any manual method very time consuming.

I'd really appreciate any ideas and/or help and if you need any additional
information please let me know.

Best regards and thanks in advance for your help,

Lucas Fernando Coser