[Gmsh] Transparency of individual elements

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Wed Feb 14 14:44:18 CET 2007

William Hunter wrote:
> List;
>
> I noticed in a previous mail in 2005 a similar question:
>
> I want to be able to display some 3D finite elements in a mesh as
> semi-transparent, buy specifying an alpha value that varies between 0
> and 1 (0 = "see through" and 1 = "solid"). I couldn't find anything in
> the documentation or on the web.
>
> Is it possible to do it,

No, right now this is not possible: you can hide some elements
completely (use Tools->Visibility), but not make them semi transparent.

 > or is there perhaps a work-around?

You could generate a post-processing view from your mesh (use e.g.
File->Save as->Gmsh mesh statistics) and affect two different values to
two separate groups of elements. Then in the view's option, you could
specify a partially transparent colormap (Ctrl+click and drag alpha
channel). This would do the trick.