[Gmsh] mesh partition colors

Jozsef Bakosi jbakosi at gmu.edu
Sat Jun 11 02:22:15 CEST 2005

Hello all,

after applying the patch from Chirstophe, in case of a mesh with
different partitions, gmsh displays the mesh very nicely using
different colors now. I have, however, a few minor questions/requests
regarding this functionality.

If I have mesh-partition #0, how do I set its color? In
Options->Mesh->Color there are only colors assigned starting from One,
Two, etc. It would be great to be able to use partition number 0. This
is a minor thing, however, because one could just save the partitioned
mesh-file with partition numbers starting from 1 and also gmsh does handle
partition #0 as a different partition, but still, I think it would
be great have its color controllable, now that it handles it right.

How are the colors to partition numbers higher than 10 assigned? Is this
changeable (through ~/.gmsh-options at least)? I don't wish for too
many more, but another 10 would be great. Also, I'm not sure, but I
think I remember correctly that partitions over 10 get the same color
(or end up having some of the already used colors). That can be confusing.

When I save partitions of a bigger mesh into seperate files with
different partition numbers (but each file only has one number of course),
it would be great if gmsh displayed the mesh according to the number in the
file (and not using the the color for partition One, since that is the
only one in that file). (I know if I just wanted to look at the different
partitions (from one file), I could just hide the ones I don't want to look
at, but I needed to save different partitions to different files and wanted
to look at them separately to see if they are correctly transmitted/received
and -- locally to a processor -- reordered well. Yeah, that was a way of
debugging for me... :-)

Anyway, I feel, these are all minor issues and one could live with them,
but I thought I should share my experiences, maybe if it's not a big effort
to change/fix these things, it would be great to have them.

Here one can find some example meshes that I experimented with:
http://camp.gmu.edu/jbakosi/pub/cylinder/mesh/

And of course: big thanks to Christophe and Jean-François for putting
this amazing piece of software together and sharing it with us.

Jozsef