[Gmsh] Possibility of rectilinear grid

Sefer Bora Lisesivdin sblisesivdin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 13:47:27 CEST 2014

Dear all,

We are studying band structures of semiconductor heterostructures and our
software is using gmsh meshes as its geometric information input.

For 1D and complex 3D structures, gmsh meshes work well. But for 2D studies
we need uniform meshes. Our 2-dimensional studies include thin film
structures which have few nm layers with smooth interfaces between the
layers.

We tried quadrilateral meshes with symmetrical points to make more uniform.
However, with a small difference in the mesh, we obtained very different
results.

If you simply google "HEMT mesh" for images, you can see some mesh images
of transistors with uniform triangular or quadrilateral meshes for other
simulators.

What I looking for is the "rectilinear" grid. Is it possible to make 2D
rectilinear grid with GMSH? If not, at least may you please suggest some
possible programs that can export in GMSH .msh filetype?

Best regards,

Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sefer Bora Lisesivdin,
Gazi University, Department of Physics,
Nanoscale Devices and Carrier Transport Group,
http://sblisesivdin.ndct.org/
Ankara, TURKEY.