[Gmsh] Can GMSH return element type list

Aleksejs Fomins aleksejs.fomins at lspr.ch
Wed Sep 24 11:33:32 CEST 2014

Dear GMSH,

I was wondering if it is possible, when saving a .msh file with GMSH, to
output the total number of elements of each type. I can of course
calculate it myself when reading the file, but it takes extra time for
larger meshes. In particular, if I want to read the file in parallel, I
need to know these numbers so that I can choose a priori which elements
belong on this process and which do not. At the moment, I have to read
the file twice - first time to find out the total number of elements of
each type, and second time, to actually read the elements.

Do you think this is possible?

Regards,
Aleksejs

P.S. So far you have not replied to about 3 of my messages! I feel sad