[Gmsh] Gmsh to Getdp without GEO files

Erroll Brady erroll.brady at schafercorp.com
Tue Sep 2 23:29:23 CEST 2014

Hello 'Anyone that may answer',

Gmsh seems to mesh Step files accurately but does not accurately create geo files.

If the 'Options->General->Enable mouse hover over meshes' is  checked when looking at a meshed step file in Gmsh and mesh 'Surface edges' are displayed, 'Plane'-numbers can be indicated via the mouse hover (See Figure 1). Similarly, if mesh 'Volume edges' are displayed, 'Unknown'-numbers are indicated that I believe are volume-numbers (See Figure 2).
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CFC6BA.49EAB910]
To avoid manually correcting geo files that were inaccurately created by Gmsh and then retrofitting physical-surfaces and physical-volumes into the geo file, is it possible to pass these 'Plane'-numbers and 'Unknown'-numbers obtained by manual inspection to a solver (Getdp for example) via an input file? Where can I find information on how to correct syntax to do this?