[Gmsh] Possible bug, GMSH surface and point numbering random

Chesaux Michael Michael.Chesaux at evatecnet.com
Tue Aug 12 16:29:27 CEST 2014

Dear Christophe and Jean-François,

I'm now using GMSH since over a month and greatly appreciate its meshing possibilities.
However, I'm recently struggling with models where the surface numbering varies each time I reload the geo file. This renders nearly impossible the definition of physical groups.

A fuller description of the issue is thus: The geometrical model is imported from a step file. It is a complicated geometry (sadly I can't include an example as it is proprietary). GMSH doesn't report any problem or warning during the step file, however the numbers associated to surfaces and points change from opening to opening. Doing a 2D mesh on this model works without warning.

Do you know what is causing such behavior? I didn't found any bug report with a similar issue and I can't say if the problem reside in the step file or by GMSH (hence I didn't wrote a bug report). Help would be highly appreciated as this blocks me in my job. Let me know if you think this should be listed as bug.

Best regards,

Michael Chesaux
Process Engineer Solution Design

Evatec Ltd.