[Gmsh] Building a multi component mesh model with separate surface facets

Cyrus Manuel cmanuel at uci.edu
Thu Jul 31 02:48:58 CEST 2014

I am building a CT derived nasal model with multiple volumes (bone, cartilage, and skin) for finite element analysis in ABAQUS. Additionally, I would like to be able to apply a boundary condition on a portion of the surface on the skin. To do this, I separated the skin .stl into two parts, one part being the regions where a b.c. is applied and the other part being the rest of the skin surface.

At this point, I am able to write a script to import all three .stl objects (bone, cartilage, and skin), but I am not able to mesh all three properly.  Can you please check out my .geo script below?

Thanks!

// Below is the filename of the bone object
Merge "BJ_Bone.stl";
Surface Loop(1) = {1};
Volume(2) = {1};

// Below is the filename of the cartilages
Merge "BJ_Cartilage_No_Connections.stl";
Surface Loop(3) = {2};
Volume(4) = {3};

// Below are the .stl objects that you will need to mend together
Merge "skin1.STL";
Merge "skin2.STL";
Coherence Mesh;
Surface Loop(5) = {3,4};