[Gmsh] Characteristic Length Interpolation

John Moore johnpmooreiv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 05:24:13 CEST 2014

Hello GMSH users/developers,

I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out how to best control the mesh
element size. I'm creating a volume mesh about an aircraft, and would like
to specify an Attractor refinement at the leading and trailing edge lines.
The geometry is an imported STEP model.

I specify the Characteristic Length {} at all Geometric points, and this
yields good results as long as the Attractor field is not applied.

However, when the Attractor field is applied, the refinement grows beyond
the distance LcMax. I have Threshold.StopAdDistanceMax set to 1.

Mesh.CharacteristicLengthExtendFromBoundary is set to 1, and this seems to
be part of the issue. I don't want to disable this because it provides a
good way to easily specify sized on surfaces by extending the point size.

I've attached an image of my mesh in addition to the *.geo script and the
STEP file.

Does anyone know if there's a better way to go about this? I know I can add
extra points and force the interpolation or use a background postprocessing
mesh, but is there a better solution?

Thank you,
John