[Gmsh] partitioning in GMSH

Vinh Pham-Xuan vinh.phamxuan2 at mail.dcu.ie
Tue Jun 24 16:18:20 CEST 2014

Dear Prof.
*Christophe Geuzaine,*

I am a PhD student who is using GMSH as an effective tool for meshing
geometries investigated in electromagnetic problems. Recently, I am
interested in Domain Decomposition Method and it guides me to the
application of METIS for partitioning. METIS is successfully implemented
inside GMSH.

There are two ways to mesh and partition an geometry:
1. Open geometry file on GUI, then meshing and partitioning (on GUI as
well). I have no problem with this way.
2. Using script and command-line:
    - At the end of the geometry file, I appended the following lines:
       Mesh.Partitioner = 2;
       Mesh.MetisAlgorithm = 1;
       Mesh.MetisEdgeMatching = 3;
       Mesh.NbPartitions = 10;
   - In the command window, I executed:
      gmsh -2 -algo del2d -rand 1e-06 cube.geo -string
"General.ExpertMode=1;"

However, the generated mesh file does not have partition domains. I wonder
if there is any mistake or missing in the second way. Could you please
advise me with this problem? I attached the cube.geo that I used in this
email.

Thank you very much for the efficient tool. I really appreciate your help.
Best regards,

--
Vinh Pham-Xuan
Ph.D Student