[Gmsh] UNV information and problematic example

Francisco Pena fran.pena at usc.es
Thu May 7 21:01:20 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I saw that some people in this list is interested in the UNV format. I
have found some information in:

http://www.sdrl.uc.edu/universal-file-formats-for-modal-analysis-testing-1/file-format-storehouse/file-formats

By the way, I have made a simple example in gmsh 2.3.1 (in a Mac). I
constructed a 2D square [0, 1] x [0, 1] and created a physical group
composed of the lower line. The idea is to detect the edges belonging
to the physical group in order to specify boundary conditions in a
external solver.

When I export the mesh to UNV (activating options "save all" and "save
groups"), the dataset 2477 include 8 finite elements in PERMANENT
GROUP1:

         7        10         0         0         7         5         0         0
         7         2         0         0         7         8         0         0
         7         6         0         0         7         9         0         0
         7         1         0         0         7         7         0         0

That is, elements n. 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. My questions are:

a) Why are the elements 1 and 2 in PERMANENT GROUP1 since these
elements do not exist in dataset 2412? In fact, element IDs in dataset
2412 start on 5.

b) The rest of the elements 5,6,7,8,9 and 10, are correct (they lay on
the physical group) but the last element that belongs to the physical
group (n. 11) is missing in PERMANENT GROUP1!

Thanks for your help. I attached the GEO and UNV files to this e-mail.

Fran Pena