[Gmsh] What is Post-processing -> Combine -> Elements ?

Christophe Geuzaine christophe.geuzaine at case.edu
Tue Aug 30 18:53:03 CEST 2005

Jean-Francois Rit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to display two views side by side, using the same isovalue scale.
>
> Using the Visibility toggle, Options->Offset and Options-> Range I can tweak
> something. However, I get two scale bars.
>
> 1) Is there a better way for this ?
> 2) I tried the "Combine" tool, but I could not guess what it does, nor could I
> make sense of the tautologic documentation in the manual.

Hello Jean-Francois - There are several ways to do this. Here is the one
I use most of the time:

- load the 2 views
- use Options->View->Offset to position them side by side
- use Options->View->Range to set identical scale bar ranges
- hide one of the 2 scale bars by unselecting "Scale" in
Options->View->Visibility

(I usually do this in a little script, like this:
View[1].OffsetX = 1.5 * View[0].MaxX ;
View[1].RangeType = 2 ; // custom
View[1].Min = View[0].Min ;
View[1].Max = View[0].Max ;
View[1].ShowScale = 0 ; )

Another way is to actually transform the coordinates of the nodes in the
second view using Plugin(Transform), then combine the elements from both
views into a single view using View->Combine->Elements. This second
method is destructive, i.e., you actually change the data stored in the
view.

As for View->Combine:

- View->Combine->Elements takes all the elements (data) in a series of
views, and combines them into a single view (by just appending the
elements at the end of a new view).

- View->Combine->Time Steps tries to combine several views "temporally",
i.e., to add data from multiple views into a single view as if the data
corresponds to multiple time instants, associated with the same elements.

For example, if you have two views based on the same mesh:

- View->Combine->Elements will create a single view with twice as many
elements (stupid in this case since the meshes are the same), and as
many time steps as in the the original views.

- View->Combine->Time Steps will create a single view with the same
number of elements, but with twice as many time steps as in the original
views.

Hope this helps,

Christophe