[Gmsh] 3d mesh generation for a simple volume

Christophe Geuzaine c.geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Wed Oct 1 21:02:40 CEST 2003

Fred Nastos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just found out about the Gmsh webpage, via links from POVRAY, and I
> have a question regarding the generation of a 3-d tetrahedral mesh.  I
> am very ineterested in using this program for a variety of projects.
>
> I have a relatively simple meshing task.  I start with a tetrahedron,
> and I'd like to be able to generate a fine tetrahedral mesh throughout
> the original tetrahedron.  The purpose of the grid is to perform a
> numerical integral (whose function is well suited for such a grid).
> That is, I want to generate a mesh specifying micro-tetrahedra
> throughout the original volume.  Ideally, every micro-tetrahedron
> would have the same volume.  Is it possible to do this with Gmesh?

Not at the moment. (Gmsh is mostly an automatic unstructured grid
generator, i.e., you can't control the size/shape of the generated
elements "by hand". The closest we get to your requirement is with the
transfinite algorithm, but it is only implemented for 3D volumes having
5 or 6 faces.)

Christophe

--
Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech