[Getdp] Semiconductors and Poisson equation

michael.asam at infineon.com michael.asam at infineon.com
Wed Feb 22 14:15:53 CET 2012

Hi Thomas,

it seems that there are some JacNL terms missing. You have to apply the Newton-Raphson algorithm
to all three PDEs. You need the derivative of each one with respect to each Dof (v, psin, psip).

Please have a look at the attached pdf, where I describe how to do it for a strong coupled
electro-thermal problem with Newton-Raphson. (It's still a draft. Please let me know if you
find some errors :-)

I'm also dealing with an exponential problem. Therefore I know, that convergence is quite difficult.
Picard method works only for convex problems which is not the case in my problem.
Newton-Raphson methods works fine but it really needs a good initial guess, close to the real solution.
Otherwise during iteration there might be an overshoot and the exponential function delivers
extremely high values which make it difficult to handle it numerically.
Therefore it's a good idea to limit the functions (in a continuous and smooth way!) to some high
values which can still be handled numerically more or less accurate.

I hope this is of some help.

When I have a bit more time then I'll make a Wiki entry on how to use Newton-Raphson with GetDP.

Kind regards,
Michael